Friday, May 24, 2013
Apple & Cinnamon Upside Down Cake
This blog has been a great creative outlet for me. I've come up with some recipes that I didn't even realise I was capable of creating. I've also never done a lot of baking so I'm loving that through this blog I've had the chance to do just that - experiment with different cooking methods and also be able to share what I've come up with! Here's one I'm quite proud of!
1 large apple, peeled, cored and sliced
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp rapadura or raw sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup raw sugar
1.5 cups light spelt flour
2 free range eggs
3/4 cup milk (I used Bonsoy)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees and grease a round cake tin with butter.
2. Combine the base ingredients and then arrange along the bottom of cake tin
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (1min/sp4 in Thermomix).
4. Add flour, eggs, milk, spices and vanilla. Continue beating until combined (20sec/sp3 in Thermomix, scrape down sides and mix for another 20sec/sp3).
5. Add baking powder and mix in for a few seconds (5sec/sp4 in Thermomix)
6. Pour batter into the cake tin over the top of the apple base and smooth out the top.
7. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed lightly. Take out of the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes in the cake tin before inverting out onto a serving plate and allowing to cool before serving.