This is a great weeknight dinner and super nutritious. It reminds me a bit of chilli con carne. In fact that's exactly what I tell my kids it is because chilli con carne is their latest obsession and if I say those words, they are sure to eat it! We especially love it with brown rice - just ensure you've soaked the brown rice for a few hours prior to cooking to aid with digestibility... soaking also lessens the cooking time of the rice!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp cooking fat (I used duck fat)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500g beef mince (grassfed if possible)
- Assorted diced veggies - I used 1 carrot, 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, 1/2 cup soaked chickpeas, 1/2 cup diced red cabbage
- 100g tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water or stock (I used chicken bone broth)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- To serve - brown rice, soaked for a few hours and then cooked as per packet directions (I used about 300g) and also some sliced avocado
1. Cook diced onion, garlic and cooking fat on medium heat until softened. Add spices and cook, stirring until fragrant.
(Thermomix: add halved onion and garlic clove. Chop 5sec/sp5. Add cooking fat and cook 2min/100deg/sp1. Add spices and cook 1min/100deg/sp1)
2. Add mince and cook, stirring, until browned.
(Thermomix: add mince and cook 3min/100deg/rev+sp1)
3. Add remaining ingredients except parsley and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir through parsley.
(Thermomix: add remaining ingredients except parsley and cook 10min/100deg/rev+sp1. Stir through parsley)
4. Meanwhile, cook brown rice as per packet directions. I cooked mine in the Thermomix - fill the bowl to 1L mark, put soaked and rinsed brown rice into the rice basket and cook 30min/Varoma/sp4.