So after my recent holiday in southeast Queensland, the kids and I sure got a big chill when we stepped off the plane as we arrived back in Perth last week! Having lived in Perth for 6 months now, I am still surprised by how cold it can get. So I think the cold weather is the perfect opportunity to make some really warming winter food such as this cottage pie!
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp cooking fat
500g beef mince (preferably organic and grassfed)
1.5 cups diced veggies (I used carrot, capsicum, green beans and some frozen peas)
300g tomato puree
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Sea salt and pepper
Boiled veggies (I used white potatoes, sweet potato and pumpkin), drained and mashed with some butter, milk of choice (I used Bonsoy) and seasoned with sea salt and pepper
100g cheese, grated (I crumbled some sheep's milk feta)
1. Into a saucepan on medium heat, add diced onion, crushed garlic and cooking fat. Cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes until softened.
(Thermomix - add halved onion and garlic cloves. Chop 2sec/sp7, add cooking fat and cook 2min/100deg/sp1)
2. Add the mince and cook, stirring, until browned.
(Thermomix - add mince and cook 3min/100deg/rev+sp1)
3. Add remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then reduce heat to simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(Thermomix - add remaining ingredients and cook 15min/100deg/rev+sp1)
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees while you assemble the pie. Pour the meat sauce into the base of a large rectangular baking dish. Top with mashed veggies and then sprinkle with grated/crumbled cheese.
5. Bake the pie for around 20 minutes or until golden on top. Serve with a salad on the side.