This cake is very light and not overly sweet. It is really delicious, especially after the syrup has had some time to soak into the cake! As I ground my own almond meal, the cake also had a nice amount if crunch to it. Even my nut hating husband loved this cake!
1.5 cups raw almonds
1 orange, zested and then peeled and quartered
50g butter, cubed
3/4 cup raw or rapadura sugar
3 free range eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp baking powder
2 oranges, juiced
2 heaped tbsp pure honey
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees and then grease and line a ring baking tin.
2. In a food processor or Thermomix, pulse the almonds a few times until almond meal consistency is reached.
3. Add orange zest, quartered orange and butter and pulse a few times until incorporated.
4. Add eggs, vanilla and sugar and mix on low speed until combined (20sec/sp3 in Thermomix).
5. Add baking powder and mix for a few seconds (5sec/sp3 in Thermomix)
6. Pour into prepared baking tin and bake for around 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the baking tin for about 10 minutes before inverting out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the syrup, warm the orange juice and honey in a small saucepan, stirring until the honey has dissolved. To do this in the Thermomix, warm the orange juice and honey for 2min/60deg/sp2. Pour the syrup all over the cake.