One of the things I really miss since finding out about my food intolerances is dairy... Thankfully it's only mild intolerance so I can tolerate having a small amount of dairy on occasion. You can make this recipe dairy free by substituting the cream with non-dairy milk but I saw some Barambah organic cream at my local health food store, so decided to make this recipe with dairy cream and have my once in a blue moon dose of dairy!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 rashers nitrate free bacon
- 2 tbsp ghee (or other cooking fat)
- 300g free range chicken thigh fillets, cubed
- 2 tbsp gluten free cornflour
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup preservative free white wine (I used Happs brand)
- 1/2 cup water or stock (I used chicken bone broth)
- 1 cup cream or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
To serve: cooked spaghetti (we used wholemeal spelt) and cheese (we used Blue River sheep's milk cheddar)
1. Melt cooking fat in a pot on medium heat. Add finely chopped garlic, diced onion and diced bacon. Cook stirring for a few minutes until starting to brown a little.
(Thermomix: add garlic, onion and bacon to bowl. Chop 3sec/sp5. Add cooking fat and cook 2min/100deg/sp1)
2. Add chicken and cornflour and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes.
(Thermomix: add chicken and cornflour and cook 3min/100deg/rev+sp1)
3. Add mushrooms, wine, stock/water, cream/milk and stir to combine. Turn down the heat to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
(Thermomix: add mushrooms, wine, stock/water, cream/milk and cook 10min/100deg/rev+sp1)
4. Season with salt and pepper and stir through parsley. Serve.