Some lazy weekend mornings I love to put a bit of extra effort into breakfast... and by extra effort I usually mean preparing some of the ingredients the night before. This is the case with this recipe. I grind my brown rice down into flour (or you can buy brown rice flour) the night before and I soak it overnight in some liquid with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Soaking grains in an acidic medium allows the phytic acid in the grain to be neutralised, and this allows our digestive tract to more easily absorb the nutrients from the grain. It really doesn't take very long to prepare these babies, just a few minutes of prep time the night before!
Ingredients (makes 8 waffles):
- 2 cups brown rice flour (or brown rice, ground in Thermomix for 1min/sp9)
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large apple, grated (please peel if not organic)
1. Combine the brown rice flour, coconut cream and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Cover and leave overnight to soak (I leave mine on the bench but if you're not comfortable doing this, you can pop it in the fridge).
2. In the morning, add the remaining ingredients and whisk together. Preheat a waffle iron and cook the waffles in batches. I find that cooking them a little longer allows them to hold together a lot better. Serve with fruit, yoghurt, maple syrup, honey etc.