Don't be put off by the amount of ingredients in this recipe. There are a few components to it, but this makes quite a large pie and it is really delicious. It's also a great way to get the kids to eat veggies they may not normally eat - my kids call this "lasagne pie"!
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
100g pecorino or parmesan (block)
2 large potatoes
1/8 jap pumpkin
2 baby eggplants
20g butter (block) or ghee
2 cloves garlic
500g lamb mince
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp Herbamare
Juice of 1/2 lemon
400g tin diced tomatoes
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp butter (block)
2 tbsp cornflour (gluten free)
500ml milk of choice (I used Bonsoy)
Salt to taste
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1. Grate the cheese and set aside. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
(In Thermomix, grate 10sec/sp9. Set aside)
2. Prepare the vegetables - thinly slice the potatoes, pumpkin, eggplant and zucchini (I did this by using the thinnest setting on my v-slicer). Set aside.
3. Prepare the white sauce: in a small saucepan on medium heat, melt butter and then whisk in cornflour. Gradually add the milk, whisking the whole time. When sauce has thickened slightly, add salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
(In Thermomix, prepare a quantity of white sauce by using the EDC recipe)
4. Prepare lamb mince: in a medium saucepan on medium heat, melt butter. Add diced onion and minced garlic. Saute until onion has softened. Add lamb mince and cook, stirring, until browned. Add spices, Herbamare, lemon juice and tin of diced tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
(In Thermomix, add halved onion and garlic cloves. Chop 5sec/sp5. Add butter and cook 2min/100deg/sp2. Add lamb mince and cook 3min/100deg/rev+sp1. Add spices, tinned tomato, Herbamare and lemon juice and cook 10min/100deg/rev+sp1).
5. Grease a large glass baking dish with butter. To assemble the pie, line the bottom of the dish with half the sliced potatoes and pumpkin. Season with salt and pepper. Top with half the mince. Top the mince with all of the eggplant and zucchini slices. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the remainder of the mince. Arrange on top of this the remaining pumpkin and potato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the white sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese.
6. Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through and the top of the pie is golden. Serve with a green salad.