Sunday, November 3, 2013

Strawberry & Coconut Custard



I have been madly studying for exams so stress levels are high, cooking time to try new recipes is lacking and as a result, my blogging has also been pretty infrequent!  I'm not quite finished with exams just yet but thought I would get a quick and easy blog in while I can this weekend!  Here is a super easy custard recipe that kids and adults will love.  It is dairy free, gluten free and of course additive free.  Not to mention naturally sweetened.  Once cooked, I separated the custard out into 4 little containers that my kids will get in their lunchboxes this week.

Ingredients (makes about 1L):
- 250g punnet strawberries, washed and hulled (puree if not using Thermomix)
- 400ml coconut cream
- 200ml water
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp gluten-free cornflour (I used organic to ensure it is non GM)

Method:

Dissolve the cornflour in a little water and pop all the ingredients into a saucepan on low heat, whisking constantly for a few minutes until the mixture thickens a little.  The custard will thicken more as it cools.

OR

If using Thermomix, add strawberries and pulse a couple of times to chop.  Add remaining ingredients and cook for 7min/90deg/sp4.

7 comments:

  1. I just made this and it's delicious :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried freezing it? Thinking of doing some in the re-useable squeezy pouches & using them for school lunch boxes. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nic, no I haven't tried freezing it as I only get 4 serves out of this for my school age kids so I've never had to freeze it. I do refrigerate it but have never frozen it.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I am going to make this tonight if I can, thank you for sharing :-) I don't have any maple syrup, but I do have rice syrup, honey or coconut nectar. Do you know if any of these will sub well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthew, yes you could use any of those!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic love it replaced egg for vegan option

    ReplyDelete