Monday, August 12, 2013

Chocolate Coated Coconut Balls



One of the nicest flavour combinations, in my opinion, is chocolate and coconut.  These chocolate coconut balls are a bit like Bounty bars but... without the dodgy additives.  I have made my own chocolate to coat the coconut with - however some of the ingredients can be hard to find so one option could be to melt a block of good quality chocolate and use that to coat the coconut balls with.  However I highly recommend making your own chocolate if you're able to - it's got such a beautiful rich flavour and the end result is well worth it!

Ingredients (makes 8):
Filling:
- 1.5 cups organic dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence

Chocolate:
- 3/4 cup cacao butter
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1.  Combine all the filling ingredients in a food processor or Thermomix and process to combine (5sec/sp5 in Thermomix).

2.  Roll the coconut mixture into 8 balls and pop them onto a tray lined with baking paper.  Put into the fridge for 30 minutes.

3.  Make the chocolate - combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and melt on a low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.  (In Thermomix, add all the chocolate ingredients to the TM bowl, chop 5sec/sp7 and then melt 4min/70deg/sp3 - stopping halfway and scraping down the sides of the bowl if required).

4.  Take the coconut balls out of the fridge and coat them in the chocolate.  Put the balls back into the fridge to set for at least an hour.  Keep in the fridge until ready to eat!

5 comments:

  1. These look great, they are now on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any tips on best way to coat them Iwa? This is the part where I fall down. They taste great but don't look anywhere near as attractive as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brenda! Ok so this is how I did it - I refrigerated the coconut balls for a good half hour before coating them... This helped them to firm up a little too so they wouldn't fall apart when costing in the choc. Then when I made the choc, I poured into a small bowl so the chocolate was quite deep. Then I put the cold coconut balls into the choc, one at a time, and used a couple of teaspoons to pour choc over the top part of the coconut ball which hadn't sunk into the choc. Then I got the coated ball out with a teaspoon and popped back onto the baking paper lined tray. When I did all 8 balls, back into the fridge to set. Once set, I did trim off some chocolate off the bottom that had dripped down. These only needed one coat but my chocolate turned out nice and thick so that helped. If the chocolate had been thinner, they may have needed a couple of coats. Hope that helps??

      Delete
  3. Hi Iwa, just popping over from All That Is Beautiful to let you know that I have featured this recipe in my latest issue of The Beast - All That Is Beautiful. It's a link magazine to connect readers to other great blogs and their (your) content. I hope you get some lovely visitors and I am totally ga ga for these coconut balls. Yum! http://www.elizabethkfindlay.com/2013/09/the-beast-all-that-is-beautiful-link.html

    ReplyDelete